Grits and Gravy coming to you this week from Massachusetts. What to the what? Country mouse in the big city: lots of open mouth gaping and "pardon me, what did y'all say?" I am staying in the lovely home of Ma and Pa Chromalab (chromalab.blogspot.com). As a testament to her wit and book learnin' I have asked Alicia to write up a Tuesday's list reflecting one of our very favorite things.
Ashley and I are currently deeply immersed in our favorite non-activity, Jane Austen movie viewing, so this list came naturally: Top 5 Jane Austen Quotes! I chose a favorite quote from each book in order of publication, except Northanger Abbey (because if you have to sacrifice one...).
1. "Elinor agreed to it all, for she did not think he deserved the compliment of rational opposition." - Sense & Sensibility
2. "There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well." - Pride & Prejudice
3. "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of." - Mansfield Park
4. "Ah! there is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." - Emma
5. "She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older--the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning." - Persuasion
In a letter, on the Peninsular War: "How horrible it is to have so many people killed! And what a blessing that one cares for none of them!"